She's crafty: Beci Orpin at the Royal Botanic Gardens glasshouse.

She's crafty: Beci Orpin at the Royal Botanic Gardens glasshouse. Photo: James Boddington



What artwork has best captured your sense of the city?


I guess it's more an artist than a specific work - Mirka Mora. I have known and loved her work for a long time, as my mum was always a fan, too. I'm impressed by her absolute passion for her art and also her hilarious and debaucherous stories of Melbourne's bohemian art scene. In my late 20s, I moved to Richmond and I used to see her all the time. I once helped her in the supermarket with some buckets. Later, in the queue, she bought my son, Tyke, a set of cars. It was so kind-hearted - I was almost brought to tears and beyond star-struck. That embodies Melbourne's creative scene - it can be very supportive and open. Also, it's small enough to bump into people who are local heroes.


Where do you go for inspiration?


At Melbourne Airport in 1985.

At Melbourne Airport in 1985.



I go to the museum with my children and Melbourne has great independent galleries. Another thing I do is ride my bike. I collect things all the time subconsciously, so I'm never short of ideas, but it's nice to get out of my head space. If you change scenery, then sometimes you'll find inspiration incidentally.


Your favourite sign?


The skipping girl. I use lots of images of female forms and girls and nostalgia, so I think the skipping girl almost embodies or influences my work. I grew up in Kew and my parents used to go to Brunswick Street and Lygon Street to have dinner, so I remember travelling up Victoria Street and seeing it as a child. It was lit up at night and I'd be excited, because it was on the way to doing something. I also loved it because a lot of signs didn't have little girls on them. I lived in a commune until I was nine or 10 and then my parents bought a house in Kew East, so we didn't move far; it was nice to have a house.


Richmond's skipping girl.

Richmond's skipping girl. Photo: Angela Wylie



The first time you went overseas?


I was 12 in Melbourne Airport in 1985 (see photo) and about to embark on my first overseas trip. Family friends Annie and Norm had booked a trip to China and asked if I would like to keep their son, Drew, company. The trip blew me away and sparked my love of Asian culture and travel. I travelled extensively in my 20s, but each time I would return with an assurance that Melbourne was happily my home.


Your favourite park?


The Robin Boyd house.

The Robin Boyd house. Photo: Angela Wylie



I love going to the botanic gardens. There's a turn-of-the-century greenhouse, which hosts a whole bunch of orchids; that's really beautiful. The plants there are quite strange and exotic and the glasshouse has a beautiful old frame and looks otherworldly. One of the nice things about the botanic gardens is the sense of history.


The best architecture?


I really like the Robin Boyd house in Walsh Street, South Yarra. It's split into two, so it's got a garden in the middle that's really beautiful. The way Boyd used levels and open plan is beautiful, as well. We used to live on Walsh Street when our first son was born, so I was out with the pram all the time. The house had a red gate and, apart from that, you couldn't see very much, but I had a sense it was amazing. A few years later, it was acquired by the Robin Boyd Foundation and one of my friends had a lunch there for his birthday, so I got to see it.


Mirka Mora.

Mirka Mora. Photo: Penny Stephens



What's your favourite suburb?


I'd have to say Brunswick, because that's where I live. When we bought our house here, it was the first time I lived on the north side, and it felt like I had come home. It has a lot of good food and there are like-minded people around. I also really like Studley Park, although I don't think I could live there. It's got lots of mid-century architecture, which I really like.


Which doorway would you most like to go through?


The Melbourne Club. I used to see its walled garden and when I found out it was the Melbourne Club it became even more mysterious, because women aren't allowed in there. For the pure fact that women aren't allowed and I'm a rebel, I'd like to go in. It's probably not half as exciting as what's in my imagination.


Beci Orpin's new book, Home (Hardie Grant) is out now.