Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Lifelong Melbourne Football Club fan James Harmes fulfils his Demon dream ... - Herald Sun



Demon dream fulfilled


Dandenong Stingray James Harmes has been drafted by AFL club Melbourne. Source: News Limited




DEVON Meadows teenager James Harmes grew up barracking for Melbourne, and now he's been recruited by them.



"Ecstatic. I'm so excited. I can't believe it," Harmes told Leader today, after being snapped up by the Demons with their first pick - and number two overall - in the rookie draft.


"I've grown up barracking for the Demons so it's a dream come true."


Harmes, after an outstanding TAC Cup season in the midfield with the Dandenong Stingrays, spoke to Melbourne officials on Tuesday and was told he'd probably be taken by them with their second pick.


"I didn't expect too much," he said.


"I just had my fingers crossed and hoped for the best,"


A 11am on Wednesday, Harmes sat in front of the computer at home by himself ... waiting and hoping.


His mum Jennifer couldn't stand the suspense and took off to walk the dog.


"She came back and I told her," he said.


"Mum gave me a big hug and said she's so proud of me.


"It was pretty special."


Straight away, James' phone ran hot with well wishes from family and friends.


Within an hour, he was in a car going to AAMI Park to meet with Melbourne's coaches.


"I'm a bit nervous but more excited," he said while travelling.


"I can't wait to get started."


As a Demons supporter, Harmes says one of his favourite players is Nathan Jones, and he's looking forward to meeting him.


"I like the way he goes about his footy and I'm going to try and get under his wing and train as hard as I can," he said.


Harmes played all his junior footy at Devon Meadows and as a 16-year-old played eight games in the club's firsts.


He attended Clyde and Devon Meadows primary schools and Hillcrest and Hallam secondary colleges.


Harmes says his Demons allegiance runs deep.


"My two pops went for Melbourne and my mum and dad also," he said.


He says the day he pulls on the famous Melbourne jumper will be special.


"It will be a proud moment for me and my family," he said.



No comments:

Post a Comment