Supporters of ousted Egyptian president Mohammed Mursi have rallied in Melbourne calling for an end to the violence in Egypt and Syria.
Speakers at the rally told of family members who had been killed by the Egyptian army in the aftermath of Mursi's removal and led demonstrators in chants calling for the end of the “military coup” in Egypt, as well as the downfall of Egypt's interim leader General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Syrian president Bashar Al Assad.
They also led the crowd in chants of “We are the revolution”, “We will not let go” and “Allahu Akbar” (God is great).
The crowd of around 400 people gathered outside the State Library on Sunday before marching to Federation Square.
The grand Mufti of Australia, Ibrahim Abu Mohamed, who was in Melbourne to address the rally, said those attending were standing up to human rights.
Via a translator, the Egyptian-born mufti called for an end to the violence in Egypt, “a condemnation of the military coup in the strongest possible terms”, the release of all political prisoners in Egypt, a halt on attacks on places or worship “whether they be mosques or churches” and for people “ to be held accountable for the crimes they committed”.
Dr Ibrahim also called on the Australian government not to recognise the “military regime” in Egypt.
Many people at the rally held yellow placards with the four-fingered Rabaa sign, which has become a symbol of anti-military demonstrators following the break-up of a Muslim Brotherhood sit-in at the Rabaa Al-Adawiyah Mosque in Cairo earlier this month.
Organiser Adel Salman said representatives from Melbourne's Turkish, Malaysian and Indonesian communities had come out in support of the rally. “It's a coalition of groups that might disagree on other things but on this they are quite united,” he said.
“We want a stop to the slaughter. We want all these regimes to respect basic human rights. Our focus is stop the violence, the politics can come next. We might not all agree on the political machinations of what should happen but what we're united on is horror at the slaughter in both countries.”
A number of those in attendence also waved Turkish flags, while a large banner of Turkey's Islamist leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has been critical of the Egyptian military's actions, was erected in the crowd. .
Orhan Kunduraci, 48, who emigrated to Australia from Turkey when he was five years old, said he had come to the rally “to support our Muslim brothers all around the world. This is what the west can't understand - Muslims are brothers and sisters in arms.”
Rahma Naser, 18, said Mursi had been faced with a difficult task in leading Egypt. “President Morsi had a year to fix 80 years of poverty. People should take that into consideration,” she said. “They shouldn't think he came into the country and ruined it, but rather that he was given these almost impossible tasks to fix the ructions of the nation.”
Ms Naser, whose parents are from Egypt and Eritrea, said members of her family in Egypt had been arrested on suspicion of being part of the Muslim Brotherhood.
The rally, organised by Australians for Democracy and Human Rights in Egypt, had been slated as a joint rally concerning Egypt and Syria, however the Australian Syrian Association distanced itself from the demonstration.
No comments:
Post a Comment