Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Geoff Walsh could head to Melbourne after quitting Collingwood on Wednesday - NEWS.com.au



Geoff Walsh


Magpies ... Geoff Walsh will travel to the US to help his son's gridiron career. Source: News Limited




COLLINGWOOD chief executive Gary Pert has assured supporters the shock departure of director of football Geoff Walsh will not affect efforts to retain free agent Dale Thomas.



Walsh's resignation was a huge surprise, and Melbourne was touted as a possible next move for the leading administrator.


Walsh, who will take three months' leave while acting as a consultant to the Magpies, would be a strong favourite to become the Demons' head of football if he was interested.


Pies footy manager to leave


But Walsh said it would be "immoral" if he left the Pies only to accept the Melbourne job.


"There is nothing sinister and there is nothing pre-planned or pre-arranged," Walsh said.




"I have had no contact (with Melbourne). It has not been on my radar, it had no influence on my decision, nor do I expect it to.

"It will be highly immoral for me to leave Collingwood one day and then say yeah to Melbourne, if they rang.


"If they rang me and said they wanted a chat, I would say that is not the reason why I have left Collingwood.


We got Gazza wrong: Bucks


"There is no animosity with Collingwood. I've loved my time there. I am not leaving for any issues other than I know in my head and my heart that it is time."


Melbourne chief executive Peter Jackson said he had not spoken with Walsh, but would do so if he became available.


Hawthorn will not pursue Walsh despite the health issues of its football boss James Fantasia, believing acting head Chris Fagan is doing an exceptional job.


North Melbourne would likely not be able to afford his $400,000-plus price, and Carlton is not a candidate despite his links to coach Mick Malthouse and chief executive Greg Swann.


Walsh said he was confident Thomas would stay.


"I don't think there is any issue there in terms of Dale wanting to stay," he said.


"I know he wants to stay and I know Collingwood wants to contract him. They will be able to work that out."


Pert said new interim director of football Rodney Eade would handle the on-field aspect of Walsh's role, and recruiting manager Derek Hine would handle player contracts.


Walsh will head to the US to watch his son Jake embark on a college gridiron punting career.


It is believed Walsh was contracted until the end of 2014, but Collingwood released him after he said he needed an "extended break" after 29 seasons in top-flight football.


Walsh still shapes as the perfect fit for Melbourne, now restructuring its football department. Jackson has admitted going after big fish, but said existing contracts were an impediment.



No comments:

Post a Comment